To help us celebrate our 50th anniversary, we’ve launched a poetry competition and calling for submissions around the theme of “A poem for Switchboard”.
The theme of this poetry competition is quite wide (we know!)- it focuses on how you’ve communicated or engaged with Switchboard.
The reason it’s a big, open theme is that we want to hear from a wide variety of people across the LGBTQIA+ community. You may have volunteered with us before, used our services, fundraised for us or thought about doing so but never had the time or chance to!
Some examples of things you could write about include:
Your experience calling or chatting with us in the past and the impact this had on you
Reasons why you might have never reached out to us, but would like to or wanted to
The importance of safe spaces for the LGBTQIA+ community
LGBTQIA+ role models
The need to have someone to listen to or communicate your thoughts and feelings with
Your hopes and fears for the future
50 years of activism and change
The examples hopefully inspire creativity, we certainly don’t want to restrict the creative juices from flowing. Please approach this wide theme from any angle you may want to.
Please be aware that:
- The deadline to submit poems is 5pm on Monday 5th February 2024.
- Winners will be announced in mid-April 2024.
- There is no minimum word count, but we would suggest a maximum line count of 50 lines per poem.
- The poems submitted can be done so anonymously or attributed to their author, the choice is yours to make when you submit the poem.
- There is no payment received by writers. If you submit a poem, you agree to not receive payment for it, and you also agree to your poem possibly being published in an anthology that Switchboard can sell for fundraising purposes.
- All poems you submit must be original works. You must not have submitted these to other poetry competitions.